What constitutes Protein, and can you suggest a protein product for lap band?
Q. I had lap-band surgery and was told protein is what I need to focus on. What constitutes PROTEIN? Any advice?
A. Protein is extremely important to all aspects of life! All of our tissue, enzymes and hormones come from protein. As well our brain function and immune systems depend on daily intake of protein. Protein comes from animal foods primarily such as fish, eggs, poultry, meat, and dairy. There are small amounts of protein in grains/vegetables, but not enough to consider these a good source.
Because your surgery limits the volume of food you can consume, you need to focus on getting very nutrient/protein dense foods as much as possible. You should also be taking a good, easily absorbed multivitamin and omega-3 fatty acid supplement. These are nutrients you are most likely deficient in. I also highly recommend taking HLC Probiotics to help maximize digestion and absorption of your nutrients!
- HLC Intensive probiotics by Pharmax—1 cap/day with food.
- Complete Multi Caps by DFH—2 caps three time daily with meals
- Finest Pure Fish Oils by Pharmax—1 tsp daily with food
- PaleoMeal Protein Powder by DFH—this is excellent protein powder which you can use to make a smoothie or fortify other foods with (like baked goods, pancakes, etc.) 1-2 scoops per day or as desired.
- Protein Bars—these are delicious and healthy protein bars. A great snack and substitute for cookies or other junk food.