Supplementation for a Female Runner
Q: I am a female runner. I want to know which vitamins you think I should take. I feel like my resistant is low lately because I have been working out so much !
A: I would recommend a good energy supporting multi-vitamin.
- Twice Daily Multi – Recommended Use: As a dietary supplement, take two capsules per day with meals or as directed by your health care practitioner.
Because this is strictly a multi vitamin, you would need to supplement your calcium/magnesium separately. Additional iron may also be necessary as well if you, still menstruate, are vegetarian or anemic.
Here are my favorites:
- OsteoForce -superior absorption for promoting peak bone mass. Recommended Use: As a dietary supplement, take 2 tablets twice daily with meals or as directed by your health care practitioner.
- Ferrochel Iron Chelate Capsules – a true chelate mineral supplements for optimal absorption. Recommended Use: As a dietary supplement, take one to two capsules per day with meals or as directed by your health care practitioner.
Another choice in iron (popular with non-vegetarians)
- Energizing Iron with Eleuthero Softgels by Integrative Therapeutics – this has vitamin B12 + iron (from beef liver), which is easy to absorb and for the body to use. This also has Eleurthero (ginseng) which may help her with exercise recovery.
Once you’ve completed a workout it is really important to replenish the the electrolytes you’ve lost.
- Electrolyte Synergy– convenient powder packets mix easily with water. And does not contain artificial colors or flavors like other sports drinks. Recommended Use: As a dietary supplement, take one packet daily or as directed by your health care practitioner.
Protein Drinks can also help the body replenish.
- EssentialMeal -Are conveniently packaged and fantastic for pre and post workout. Fortified with vitamins, minerals this pre-measured protein drink can be mixed with water. Great for on-the-go.
- PaleoMeal Organic Whey Protein – is also fortified with vitamins, minerals, enzymes, as well as creatine, CLA, and fiber, this high quality, non-denatured whey protein promotes lean muscle mass, stable blood sugar, and supports optimum nutrition and immune health.
See you on the track!