The Truth About Green Tea Supplements
The benefits of green tea are numerous, legion, and undisputed. Regular consumption of green tea has been shown to be associated with lower rates of cancer and with decreases in body fat. And the catechins (plant chemicals) in green tea are known to be powerful antioxidants as well as highly anti-inflammatory.
But can you get the same benefits from taking green tea supplements?
Let’s go to the video tape.
The Benefits of Green Tea Supplements…
Researchers from Oklahoma State University sought to shed light on the relationship between green tea supplementation and various risk factors for obese subjects. And what they found was interesting indeed.
In a study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition,1 the researchers randomly assigned 35 subjects with obesity and metabolic syndrome to one of one of three conditions.
- The control group got a daily drink of 4 cups of water.
- The second group got 4 cups of green tea.
- The third got 2 caps a day of green tea extract supplements of the active ingredient in the beverage (known as EGCG or eppigallocatechin-3-galate) plus 4 cups of water.
Both the tea-only and the EGCG-supplement plus water group received the identical amount of EGCG per day, whether it came from the tea or the water.
The researchers found both the group getting the green tea beverage and the group getting the green tea extracts (ECGC supplements) experienced a significant decrease in body weight and in BMI (body mass index). The control group saw no such decrease.
This is hardly the first time green tea and its active ingredient, EGCG, have been shown to improve body composition. A 2009 study2 on rats showed that both green tea and black tea reduced body fat, but green tea and EGCG supplements both increased lean body mass. All three also improved glucose tolerance.
And a 2006 review article, “Anti-obesity effects of green tea”3 stated that “Studies conducted with human subjects report reduced body weight and body fat…. and thereby confirm findings in cell culture systems and animal models of obesity”.
Wait, There’s More…
Want more? A 2005 study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition4 showed that subjects ingesting one bottle of tea per day containing 690 mg of catechins had significantly lower body weight, BMI, body fat mass and subcutaneous fat area than a control group consuming only 22 mg of catechins a day
Plant chemicals in tea known as catechins have long been found to have a wide variety of possitive effects on health. For example, a 2004 article in the medical journal Circulation concluded that “the more green tea patients consume, the less likely they are to have coronary artery disease”.5
It Doesn’t Stop There…
As an added benefit, a 2010 study showed that the healthful substances in green tea–renowned for their powerful antioxidant and disease-fighting properties–actually penetrate the tissues of the eye.6 Apparently many of the green tea “catechins” are loaded with antioxidants that can protect the eyes. “Our results indicate that green tea consumption could benefit the eye against oxidative stress”, the researchers conclude.
We’ve sorted through thousands of green tea supplements available and are thrilled to recommend the cream of the crop to you below.
There are three specific advantages the Designs for Health green tea extract has over many other products on the market.
- It’s standardized to 50% EGCG. That means for every 500 mg capsule of “green tea extract” from Designs for Health, you are guaranteed to be getting 250 mg of EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate), the specific catechin that has been studied for its effects on body composition, cancer, and cardiovascular health.
- It’s decaffeinated. Truth be told, caffeine isn’t a problem for everyone, but for those who would prefer to reduce their intake of caffeine and still get the proven benefits of EGCG, the Designs for Health product fits the bill, as it’s guaranteed to have less than 2% caffeine.
- It’s top quality. Designs for Health has a well-deserved reputation for using only the highest ingredients in their supplements and for being incredibly diligent and responsible in choosing their suppliers. So with this product, you can be assured that you’re getting exactly what the label claims, and from the best sources available.
I strongly encourage you to try EGCG Green Tea Extract. The health benefits are well researched, this is one of the best green tea products on the product, and I can personally vouch for it based on my own experience.
Wishing You Health and Wellness,
The Rockwell Nutrition Team